The revised 5th edition 2020 of the textbook „Creating economic class in Vocational Education and Training“ is available on this website as an open educational resource for free download. The book is also accompanied by TOOLs and an overview of APPs that can be downloaded from the website. The textbook can also be purchased in bookstores as a printed version. A special printed version is available for students on-demand and can be obtained through FAUs VET-Institute.
Contents of the textbook
The textbook applies to the VET Business Education & VET Electrical / Mechanical Engineering course. The textbook provides planning and reflection of lessons on three tasks: Definition of competence expectations, design of methods and media and analysis of conditions. This course covers 24 learning units, which are taught in two terms:
- Reflecting Models for instructional design/didactics
- Using principles for the construction of curricula
- Competence modelling: Professional competencies
- Competence modelling: Personal competencies
- Competence modelling: Cross/general competencies
- Using planning aids (e.g. syllabus)
- Elaborating expected learning outcomes
- Annual planning (e.g. sequencing learning units)
- Assessing the initial level of student’s competence
- Arranging teaching forms and using media
- Presenting and using visual aids
- Identifying special pedagogical needs and analysing the learner’s environment
- Understanding Adolescence
- Analysing classroom conditions, e.g. class climate
- Teachers’ self-assessment
- Performing classroom conversation and use of communication media
- Supporting cooperative learning
- Using simulations
- Developing, implementing and evaluating of learning situations
- Analysing the school environment
- Working together with internal and external partners
- Identifying Megatrends and taking them into account
- Creating exams
- Evaluating and revising lessons
The achievement of the 13th learning unit is in the first term and the remaining units are covered in the following term. The assurance of practical application is through the university school.
Concept-based experiential learning
The textbook follows a concept-based experiential learning approach. Based on the learning units, Learning Assignments are formulated. These are carried on by the students individually or in the homegroup. These concepts are verified in the participating university schools. The experience gained in this way is documented by the students and then presented in debriefing sessions at the university. Together, students and the lecturer reflect and generalize the presented experience. Furthermore, reflections provide the basis for the revision of the textbook.
Tools & Apps
Throughout the textbook, awareness is directed to specific TOOLs that are linked by QR-Codes on the website. The TOOLs serve to clarify the content of the textbook and can serve as a summary of the learning unit. Guidelines, overviews, real-life examples, helping hands, rubrics, templates or criteria catalogs that are used in university school strengthen the transfer of knowledge to skills.
The textbook also explains software, applications or internet services for designing lessons, which are stored on the website as so-called APPs. However, the explanations in the textbook do not focus on concrete product names, but on the respective categories. Each category is evaluated in the textbook with its respective advantages and disadvantages, which should ensure the correct application for the students. The aforementioned correct application should be a support for the planning of a lesson. The application of these apps can be used both outside and inside the classroom.